Friday, July 31, 2009

Groundhog's Day


It's like the movie
Groundhog's Day
with me every morning.


(NOTE: Bible students, please read this all the way to the end.

Like Bill Murray, I groan, look at the clock, and think, "NO, NOT AGAIN. But wait, perhaps today will be different." And of course, it's not.

Every morning when I wake up, it's JUST LIKE YESTERDAY.


SCARY! Is today going to repeat itself AGAIN?


Am I stuck in this one single day




FOREVER?








I head to the kitchen, take the coffee out of the cupboard where it is in the same place as yesterday, look for the metal coffee filter for my coffee machine, cannot find it anywhere in the kitchen (just like yesterday), pour the water for the coffee into the glass cup for the coffee machine anyway, try to put it onto the tray in the coffee machine, but it won't fit. That's because the metal coffee filter is still in the machine.


Just like yesterday.

Sigh.


Remove the coffee filter, fill it, put it back in the machine, put the glass cup onto the tray, fill the glass cup with water, put it on the coffeemaker and start wiping down counters in the kitchen while it perks.

After I've wiped down, the counters, stove, cutting board, and kitchen table, I pause. Seems like I have spent a lot of time wiping stuff and the coffee has not even begun to perk. That's because I forgot to plug it in.



Just like yesterday.

(Is this a repeat of yesterday? Am I STUCK in yesterday?)


I plug in the coffeer maker, look for my vitamins in their little plastic medicine box. I keep it in only one place on a shelf in my kitchen. They are not there. I look everywhere for them. They have slipped behind the cutting board where I couldn't see them. It sinks in that I truly may be stuck in yesterday. HORRORS!



I walk the dog who keeps me waiting for five minutes while he explores for the right place to do his business, picks EXACTLY the same spot as yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that.


OH NO!! This IS yesterday and the day before that and the day before that! AAACK! Have I been cast in a movie, replacing Bill Murray with a female actress? And is it one of those creepy movies where I've been cast into a movie I know nothing about and I live my whole life on a movie set and the people I think I know are all just actors?

I come back home, still no coffee. That's because I forgot to turn it on. Just like yesterday. OK, so I turn the $%^&* thing on!

STOP IT! STOP IT!

Let me out of yesterday!

I want it to be TODAY!!!

The coffee perks. I look for my coffee mug, can't find it. Finally discover it in the dish drainer. Just like yesterday.

I pour the coffee into the cup, get out the milk to steam it, pour it into another cup, hold it under the steamer, and turn it on. Nothing happens. That's because I turned the knob the wrong way. Just like yesterday.

Turn it the right way, holding the cup in the steamer part of the coffee maker. Nothing happens. That's because the machine has run out of water. (I can't bear to think it, let alone say it: JUST LIKE YESTERDAY.)

The steamer won't work without water, so I open the top of the coffee maker to add more water. I get a blast of steam on my hand, (do I have to say this?) OWWWWW! just like yesteray.

Rinse my hand under cold water, add water to the coffee machine, screw on the top, put the cup of milk under the steamer part of the machine, and AH! it bubbles. Pour it into my coffee cup and take a sip. BLEAGGGGH! I forgot to put in the sugar. (Oh, please just say it for me.)

Add the sugar, take a sip, AH! I'm starting to wake up. Perhaps it IS today, but then I think of last night's Bible study and I realize I really AM stuck in a time warp because that study was EXACTLY the same tiresome discussion about EXACTLY this same topic that I have heard in EVERY Bible study on these EXACT SAME VERSES for the past 50 years.


(Bible students: Read Ephesians 5:21-6:9 today.) Yes, this IS the beginning of a Bible study (and you thought this had ANYTHING to do with coffee? HA!) We'll take it up again next time -- after I've had my coffee. Thanks for reading all the way to the end, where the good stuff like morning coffee usually is, and may God's grace and peace be with you today.)



No comments:

Post a Comment