Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lost Boys of Sudan

It's been awhile since I blogged. I've been busy helping one of the lost boys of Sudan. It started like this: I prayed that God would show me the poorest of the poor here in Bellingham. The next day I saw a very tall, very thin, very black man standing on top of the library steps. So of course I went right up to him and asked, "Are you from Sudan?"

He said 'Yes."

So I asked, "Are you one of the lost boys?"

And he said "yes."

Then he said, "I cannot read. I want to read."

And I said, "Well, I can teach you how to read."

And so we began a friendship. I learned he was homeless and sleeping under a bridge. He had no family here and was physically disabled from many gunshot wounds suffered during the war in Sudan. I helped him go to alcohol rehab and he is now living with a housemate and has a job.

The BIGGEST NEWS happened this week. His old girlfriend whom he has not heard from in over five years looked him up and said, "I have your son and I don't want him. YOU take him."
So, WOW, now there will be a little boy to add to the picture. I have so many prayers for them. If you a person who prays, leave a comment and I'll send you my list of hopes for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment