Monday, February 26, 2007

The Lost Boys Church

I had an opportunity last Sunday to visit a church led by Pastor Williamm Deng. Both he and all of the men in the congregation were lost boys of Sudan.

The first thing I noticed is that there are no women, no old men, no children. All of them were either murdered or taken into slavery by the Arab Muslims who destroyed their villages. Only the young boys out in the fields herding goats escaped by running into the jungles.

I thought about their difficult journey walking across Africa, some eaten by lions and hyenas, some bitten by deadly snakes, some starved, some died of thirst walking across the desert. But here before me were the survivors, unbelievably tall dark and handsome, smiling as they listend to the gospel in their native Dinka. When they began to sing and the drums and tambourine began to play, I felt I was in the heart of Africa. The music of their deep voices gave me shivers.

And truly these young men who survived ARE the heart of Africa. I hope and pray that they will someday be able to return and rebuild Sudan.

No comments:

Post a Comment